My buddies at Pink Gorilla recently invited me down to The New Conservatory in Leeds to sample the brand new summer menu. Despite it being one of Leeds' longest standing bars I'd actually never ventured in before so I looked forward to trying the place out.
I took the BF along as he's quite the foodie, but if he thought I was picture crazy on a normal restaurant outing he was about to experience full blown blogger snap happy Gabby! When we arrived we got a complimentary beer and prosecco and then were seated out our table in the raised restaurant area which overlooks the bar. I thought it was actually a lovely area, with fairy lights twinkling all around and book cases lining the walls, I felt a glimmer of Christmas!
We scanned through the menu which looked pretty mouthwatering, and the BF started picking out the dishes he wanted to try before I reminded him that we got to try everything as it was a taster menu! He was pretty impressed, and I think it made up for the constant camera flashing and "move your elbows off the table they're ruining the shot!" issues he suffered with throughout the evening ha. (man + food = happy)
Anyway, before long we were served our first course of duck spring roll with hoi sin dip, deep fried brie with beetroot chutney and king prawns with lime and chilli dressing. It tasted as good as it sounds! I think my favourite would have to be the spring roll as the duck was really flavoursome.
For the main course samples we got to try belly pork with mash, cajun chicken skewers and my favourite of the three which was the super creamy wild mushroom risotto with a parmesan crisp. I'm getting hungry now just writing this!
When the trio of desserts arrived it was pudding heaven, there was a chocolate mousse with a hidden layer of caramel inside (so good!), a gorgeous salted caramel cheesecake and a mixed berry eton mess sunday (which I was very sad to reach the bottom of!). I think if I had to choose the best it would be a toss up between the mousse and the eton mess, which we will both be coming back for again.
After looking through their drinks menu we couldn't resist trying one of the delicious sounding cocktails. I went for my favourite the porn star martini and the BF chose a classic expresso martini. Both were excellent, and we enjoyed them whilst listening to the jazzy sounds of the lovely band playing. I'd like to say this sophistication carried on into the evening, however they also do 2 for £5 on jagerbombs, which was never going to end well for me on a work night. Hello 2am dancing at mojos oops. (Blaming Leanne from The Dress Diaries for that one!)..
5 Reasons YOU should give The New Conservatory a visit:
So I've talked about why I enjoyed my visit now here's 5 reason you should get yourself down there too!
1. Happy hour on selected drinks 5pm-10pm Mon-Friday. None of this only on a tuesday afternoon when everyone's at work bull. An actual happy hour you can make use of even on a Friday night! Hurray. The offer is on Jagerbombs and selected beers, wines and spirits. Get in. Just be careful you don't end up like we did.......... Friday morning was a killer.
2. Tuck into Sunday roast for just £8.95. A full plate of Sunday roast goodness for just £8.95? Sounds pretty good to me!
3. Entertain yourself at open mic night every Thursday. Yep every thursday they host an open mic night - so whilst you're sipping on your 2 for £5 drinks you get some free entertainment. If you're up for entering they also give out some fab prizes for winners (they're actually giving away a Martin acoustic guitar worth £500 to the winner of the 27th August comp!).
4. Take advantage of the early bird menu 4-7 EVERY day. They offer a great early bird menu which even includes many of the dishes I mentioned and reviewed earlier (including the eton mess and chocolate mouse desserts - pretty much the main reasons we will be coming back for this offer!). You can try two courses for £10.95 or go the full hog at 3 courses for £13.95.
5. You can even get competitive at a game of beer pong or table tennis! On certain nights they bring out the beer pong and table tennis which you can have a play on. I think this would be especially great if you wanted to host a party there (not to mention they have a huge bar!).
That's all from me. As always thank you for reading and let me know if you do take a trip to The New Conservatory yourself - I'd certainly recommend a visit :)